Saturday, October 15, 2011

Melancholy...

I hope I spelled it right. :) Since my last scan I have been doing well. I feel pretty good, a little run down but I've felt somewhat normal. I have experienced some melancholy over the past few weeks though. I haven't had any breakdowns or anything, I just haven't felt like myself. I've been working through it and putting on my best face (you have to work with what you've got). :) I've been a little upset that I didn't get good news at my last scan.

Fast forward to today...I attended another HopeKids event. This event was at Jordan Commons, they were hosting a screening of "Dolphin Tale" for the kids. As a reminder, these events are for kids with life threatening illnesses. We were helping with sodas and popcorn. As I watched these amazing kids and their parents, I suddenly forgot about my problems. There was a boy in a reclining wheelchair. He had a breathing tube and had a rough time speaking. He was wearing a BYU baseball cap and had a BYU blanket. I said, "Here's my guy!" I went to talk to him about BYU football. He smiled and we had a brief conversation about the game today. He knew that they were playing Oregon State at Oregon. He then asked me where Oregon is located. I briefly explained that it was between California and Washington. As his Mom pushed him away, I said "Go Cougars" and he laughed.

Life could be so much harder. I'm able to go to work, have a normal life and I'm fairly healthy (even with cancer). I have so much to be grateful for, I wonder if that little guy even knows what a "normal" day feels like. I would guess that his normal is so much worse than anything I've ever felt. I walked away feeling like a shmuck! I have it good. I came home to my nice house, watched the Utah and BYU games on TV, when I got hungry, I made a sandwich. Life could be so much worse.

I know some of you were able to notice that I wasn't myself these past few weeks. Thanks for putting up with me. No more pity party for me. I need to remember to serve others when I'm feeling down. I love to serve! I wasn't thrilled about getting up early on a Saturday morning but I'm so glad I went. I don't know that little boy's name, but to him I say "Thank you! Thank you for putting a smile on my face in the midst of your enormous challenge!"

1 comment:

Jan said...

Wow Jim, that was a great way to start my Sunday. Keep that thought and keep "looking up" you an your family are in our prayers.
Lots if Love Adam and Jan Johnson