Sunday, March 4, 2012

Miracles

In my brief time on this earth, I've witnessed many miracles. Some may consider these very fortunate events, but in my mind, they are miracles.

1. My Mom agreed to marry my Dad. Okay, this isn't a miracle but we used to tell my Dad that we chose Mom and she chose him. I love you Mom and Dad.

2. My Dad joined the military during the Vietnam War. He felt certain he would be drafted and so he joined. Everyone filled out a wish list of where they would like to go. While most people listed Hawaii, the Caribbean, and other tourist destinations, my Dad chose Japan as he went on his mission to Japan. Well, everyone in his unit went to Vietnam, except for one. Yep, you guessed it, my Dad was selected to go to Japan. They had a need and he spoke Japanese...Miracle!

3. When I was a toddler, I ran my toy motorcycle over a cliff. I'm sure I was hurt but I missed all of the jagged rocks and was relatively fine...Miracle!

4. When I was about 14, I got a piece of steak lodged in my throat. I couldn't breathe. I was fortunate that my Dad knew the Heimlich Maneuver. He performed it on me and it became dislodged. Maybe not a miracle but very glad my Dad knew what he was doing. Oh heck...it was a Miracle!

5. Graduation night in 1987, yes I'm old, my friend bought a new scooter. He brought it over to show me. I took it for a spin while my girlfriend, Michelle, watched. I started to show off and lost control of the scooter. I crashed and landed in between my neighbors decorative rocks in their park strip. Spent much of the night at the emergency room and got stitches in my head but fully recovered. Miracle!

6. Survived Bangkok traffic on my mission (I had to drive in it for about a year)...Miracle!

7. Had a dream about Michelle on my mission. I dreamt that she got divorced and we had another shot. She was married at the time. I felt terrible. It ended up coming to fruition...probably the biggest Miracle in my life.

8. The birth of each one of our kids. I mean, come on, how can you witness childbirth and not believe in miracles.

9. In 1999, I was involved in a very serious automobile accident. Neither of the two drivers were wearing a seat belt. I had two broken arms and I've previously discussed the other driver. Miracle!

10. My most recent experience with Cancer...I don't need to talk about it as I've spent the past year documenting it. Miracle!!!!!

I could go on and on but I think these rank as my top 10 (in chronological order).

Miracles continue to happen! I told our ward (church congregation) today that I have a testimony of prayer. So many prayers have been said on our behalf. Not saying that everyone that wasn't cured of cancer did not have their prayers answered or that I'm special, I just know how much the prayers helped us. Miracles...so grateful for miracles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read this blog when you wrote it and I just thought I would come on here and comment that ever since I have read this I have been thinking about all the miracles in my own life. some of our are the same #1 on your list comes to mind. But I just wanted to say thanks for being such a great big brother and you have always been a great example to me.