Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Final Countdown

I wasn't really a big fan of the band "Europe" but lately, I can't get this song out of my head. I don't even know most of the words but I know the main chorus. In 9 days, I will receive my last chemotherapy treatment. I have to admit, I'm not going to miss these wonderful drugs (especially the prednisone and doxyrubicin). Don't get me wrong, I have a love/hate relationship with these drugs. I know they are making me better but I really don't like the side effects.

It has been a pretty eventful week. It started with me going to work on Monday. I love going to work. I wasn't able to spend the entire day as I had to go to the IMC for labs. Our favorite CNA, named Maygan, said that she heard the story about Michelle and me and how we got together. We told our nurse Saima on Friday and she loved it so much that she is telling the rest of the nurses. I thought it was kind of nice, but we clearly spend too much time there. The good news is that my blood counts are remaining fairly consistent (which is good). My red blood count is 4.8 and my white blood count is 5.3 These numbers are within normal ranges. I'm especially happy for the WBC, as long as it is above 2.7-3.0, I stay pretty healthy and my Oncologist is happy.

Yesterday, we went to the Riverton Hospital. The doctors were testing blood, running various tests and spent several hours observing. It isn't what you might think though...they were running tests on our daughter Makenzie. She started having pain in her side again. We thought it was her appendix as she had all of the classic symptoms. The ER doc asked if we wanted to run the CT scan because they just weren't sure. We didn't want to go home without knowing what was going on. Her appendix is fine, she doesn't have a kidney stone (although I believe that she did). They are calling it Mesenteric Adinitis, which in plain English means inflamed lymph nodes. When we got home, I looked it up online and it said that it presents itself with the same symptoms as appendicitis. Poor kid...she has had a rough few days but she seems to be perking up now.

Today, was a great day. It started with us going to Nick's school. It was one of those proud parent moments. Nick was nominated and selected to be the Falcon of the quarter for the 9th grade. We've known for about a week and we managed to keep it a secret from him. He was surprised and looked somewhat embarrassed. They fed us breakfast and gave Nick a packet that included a letter from us and from each one of his teachers. It was so nice to hear all of the positive things his teachers said about him.

After the recognition program, I had to race to work to jump on a call with a reporter from the Salt Lake Tribune We recently signed a new 10 year lease and they want to write a feel good story about the company and this huge committment to the Salt Lake area. The interview went without a hitch and they will be coming in the office tomorrow to take some photos of me. I told him I was okay with that but he should know that I have a shiny head right now. I wanted him to know that I'm undergoing cancer treatment and I don't look as good as I normally would. The article is slated to print some time next week. I hope it turns out as well as I think it will.

Finally, on a more spiritual note, I was set apart as the High Priest Group Secretary on Sunday. It is the first time this year that I've attended all of my meetings. The High Priest Group Leader, who is also my good friend that recently went to Israel and prayed for me in Gethsemene, gave me the blessing. In this blessing, he got choked up and then gave me confirmation that I would be healed. It was very similar to the blessing that my Dad gave me. It was a neat confirmation and the spirit was so strong. I've been telling people that in a wierd way, I am grateful for this challenge. I found the following quote from Orson F. Whitney:

"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we came here to acquire."

We've said it many times, everything is sweeter. I've learned a lot about myself, my family and so many of you. It has been a wonderful journey and we are in "The Final Countdown".

6 comments:

DebiHope54@gmail.com said...

AWESOME! So glad to hear it.....we love you guys!

Sue Johnson said...

Such a wonderful, positive post. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm counting down with you. Love you guys so much!

Elaine said...

Thanks again Jimmy. This is such a wonderful way for me to know your heart better. We continue to pray.

Jimmy & Michelle said...

What awesome aunts that we have! We love all of you so much! Thanks for the love, support, and most of all... the prayers.

Terryh430@msn.com said...

I always love reading about your "adventures". You both are so amazing. You are an inspiration to everyone. I am so happy that Friday is the day! I will be on the first floor of the cancer center doing radiation. I am going to ask my nurse if I can ring the bell for you. They say, when a bell rings, an angel gets his wings. You are angels. On Friday, you will be getting your wings to fly free of cancer. Go Jimmy! Go Michelle! I love you guys and admire your strength!

Jimmy & Michelle said...

Another awesome aunt! We are excited for Friday as well! You should come up to the 3rd floor and see if you can visit. We are there from 8:30 am until about 2:30. It would be great to see you and thanks for ringing the bell (if they let you), we don't have a bell. We love you too!