Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Update

I wanted to provide a quick update on the health front. I'm feeling great! I am getting my strength back. I still wouldn't want to run a 5k but I'm walking quite a bit. Last night, Michelle and I went for a long walk. It was great. I'm starting to look like my old self again. My hair is coming back in. I have mixed feelings about the hair. I look better with hair but the maintenance of no hair is so nice. My next appointment with my Oncologist is on July 28th. I don't expect to hear much on that day unless my blood labs look bad. The scan will be at the end of August. I am doing everything I can to remain positive and optimistic but I have to admit that there is always an element of fear in the back of my mind.

That is enough cancer talk for today. I had a funny memory today (at least it is funny to me). It is the time that I used the scriptures to ward off crazy animals. I was on my mission in Thailand and I visited a city that is up country from Bangkok. I believe I was the only foreigner in the city and we went to the town center where a bunch of monkeys reside. We went in and all of the sudden, a bunch of monkeys came up to me. I thought it was kind of cool at first. I was trying to feed them. Out of the blue, they started climbing all over me and became very aggressive. This is where the scriptures came in. I had to use my scripture bag to beat the monkeys away from me. I knocked a couple of them away and they hissed at me. I got out of there as quickly as possible.

For whatever reason, different types of apes do not like me. My first month in Thailand, my companion and I were walking down the road and a Gibbon jumped out of the tree and smacked me on the head. It didn't hurt but it scared me to death. My companion was Thai and he was unscathed. I like to think that the monkeys were jealous of me (good looking, blonde hair, taller than most people they saw), but I really think that they were posturing because they thought I was a monkey...maybe they were right.
Me attempting to feed a monkey.

My hair is growing back, and it isn't all gray. :)


3 comments:

Elaine said...

The mental picture of those monkeys all over you is rather funny. Wish you had a picture:-) Still praying and so glad you are feeling good! Love, Missouri

Lisa said...

Lopburi?? I had the same experience. Me and Wilkey were there. Wilkey knocked one off my head with his briefcase. I've hated monkeys ever since. They're so creepy!!Satan'
s minions.

Jimmy & Michelle said...

Yes...it was Lopburi! One of my least favorite places in Thailand. I only went there once, but once was enough!