Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers' Day vs. Father's Day

You will know, from reading my blog, that I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar. I just read something online that made a lot of sense to me. When this holiday was first proposed, it was a day for all Fathers. Therefore it should be Fathers' Day. But somewhere along the way, it was changed to Father's Day, a day for Father. I'm okay with the change. I think it is important to honor our individual Dads.

I'm grateful for my Dad and the example that he set for me and my brothers. I received a phone call last night from my Bishop, asking me to speak about my Dad today. I shared a few stories with the congregation about my Dad. I thought it might be nice to share some of those stories here.

My Dad made the gospel easy for me to understand as a child. I remember him teaching me and my classmates about the translation of the Book of Mormon. He used a Stereoscope and had cards that he had written on. Looking at them without the stereoscope made no sense. But when you put it in the stereoscope, a message came alive. I know that is not how Joseph translated the Book of Mormon but it suddenly made sense to me.

My Dad taught me to serve. I remember working side by side with him on many occasions. When the church still requested members to donate to the budget, our ward would stuff newspapers with advertisements to earn money for the ward budget. It was a great opportunity to serve and reduce the burden on the members of the ward. We spent many hours standing on our feet and working to help earn funds for the budget. I remember it being pretty grueling work but I remember working with my Dad and that is why I was there.

He taught me how to honor the priesthood. Not long before I turned 19, I received the Melchezidek Priesthood. My first opportunity to use the priesthood was when our good friend was missing. He and some other members of the ward flew to New Mexico in a small private plane for a business venture. This gentleman was one of my favorite people and his wife asked my Dad and me to give her a blessing. My Dad offered to give the blessing. When he was giving her the blessing, I had such an overwhelming sense of the spirit. I mistakenly thought that meant that everything would be okay. I waited for my Dad to say that he was going to be fine but the blessing was more of a blessing of comfort for his wife. When we left, I remember talking to my Dad about the blessing and he told me that he thought he didn't have a good feeling. Unfortunately, all of the men on the plane died in an awful crash. I was feeling the spirit but I now believe that it was the spirit confirming what my Dad was saying. I'm so glad he was a worthy priesthood holder and was prepared for that tough assignment.

Finally, he gave me a blessing right before I started chemotherapy. In that blessing, he shared with me that I would be able to withstand the effects of chemotherapy and that I would be cured. From everything that I read, I have had an amazing experience with my chemo treatments. Don't get me wrong...it is tough, but it was much better than I ever imagined it would be. I realize that this didn't come from my Dad. He was the voice, acting on behalf of God. I'm so grateful for him.


I also love who my Dad...the person. I received calls from him almost every day while I was sick. He has become more than my Dad...he is my friend. He is funny (although I know Mom was feeding him a lot of the lines along the way), he is smart, he is kind, and most of all, he taught me how to be a good husband and Father. I love you Dad!


Changing gears for a moment...I'm feeling better this week. I'm still tired but I don't feel sick. I'm starting to get some hair. I don't know if it will stay but it gives me hope. I will post a picture soon. I will have to post another picture of me as well. Since I became sick, I have been drinking more fluids and I usually have to wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. The other day I went in the bathroom and with the lights off, I looked at myself and was shocked to see Uncle Fester from the Addam's Family in the mirror. I've lost my eyebrows and without my glasses, I look like Uncle Fester. :) I really don't mind. I feel good and know I will get back to my old self someday. Besides, if you can't laugh at yourself, you are taking yourself way too seriously. Happy Fathers' Day everyone (or Father's Day). :)

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I just love you, Jimmy. What a great post and the humor at the end? Way funny! Love from Missouri!