Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Graduation and labs

Today was Makenzie's graduation. We woke up early so we could arrive and take pictures of our graduate and her friends. We were fortunate to see some good friends and reconnect with a few of them. The commencement exercise went very well, I am so impressed with the Principal at Copper Hills. He gave a great speech and really got choked up as he spoke about the students. They had a chair that was draped with a cap and gown in honor of a student that was killed in a car crash this past year. He had enough credits to graduate and his little sister was able to walk and receive his diploma in his honor. It was very touching. Sydney asked Michelle if we were crying. I have to admit that I was fighting the tears. I was also very proud of Makenzie. She is such a good daughter. She wants to do what is right and is such a responsible young woman.

After the graduation, we took everyone to lunch. At Makenzie's request, we went to Chili's. We had a total of 10 people including our little family, both sets of grandparents and Justin. We had a great time.

We went home and I had to close my eyes for a few minutes. I was wiped out. I couldn't rest for long though as I had to go to the IMC for labs. While there, I spoke with Maygan, our favorite CNA and my nurse was my favorite nurse Joann. She is an older lady and I found out today that she has been through breast cancer twice. No wonder she is such an amazing nurse. We talked a lot about attitude and how it is hard to be healed when you are in a negative frame of mind. She made me promise that I would come back and visit after I am better and my hair grows back.

I can't believe that in two days, I will be done with chemotherapy. I am so happy to be done but I have to admit that I will find it strange to fill the void that will be left by not having so many appointments. These wonderful people at the IMC have become friends. They are so supportive and I would highly recommend this cancer center to anyone. Don't get me wrong...I will find other things to do and I'm looking forward to feeling better.

I meet with Dr. Legant tomorrow, we are taking an opaque fan to her as she said that she thought she would be a good fan dancer. I hope she laughs, she has a really good sense of humor. I'm also going to tell her that I saw a letter from her this week. We were having a charity meeting at work. I oversee a charity budget of $150k for 501(c)3 charities. One of the charities had a letter of recommendation from Dr. Legant. Needless to say, we will be donating to them. My Dad will be joining us tomorrow as well. He wants to meet Dr. Legant and thank her. She really is a wonderful Doctor and I'm so grateful that we stumbled upon her.

Finally, some good friends of ours came over tonight to give Makenzie a graduation present. Janae works for Mrs. Fields and she made a special Copper Hills cookie. This cookie is about a 14 inch cookie and is so delicious. We had a chance to catch up a bit. I'm so grateful for the friendship of the Gardners. I'm also grateful for so many wonderful friends, awesome family members, and the best wife.

Thanks everyone! I plan on updating the blog again on Friday. Hopefully, I will have some pictures of some of our favorite people at the IMC Cancer Center. Even though it will make me sick...I can't wait for my last treatment!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

i canNOT believe Makenizie is done with high school.

and I cannot believe you are done with chemo.

and I REALLY can't believe I haven't seen you.

So happy to hear all of this.
You are amazing.
xoxo