Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book Ideas and Other Thoughts

In my last post, I mentioned that I wanted to take time to put some thoughts into chapter headings for my future book. These aren't neccessarily in the order that I will arrange them but it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking. You will also notice that some of them are similar to previous posts. They are as follows:

Life Before the Challenge
The Cough That Saved My Life
Allowing Myself To Have a Bad Day
Family and Friends
The Power of Faith and Prayer
Positive Attitude and Healing
Laughter is the Best Medicine
Allowing Others to Help
What is Normal?
Treatment...Killing the Good With the Bad
Side Effects
The Challenge Does Not Define Me (thanks to Seth for the inspiration on this one)
Recovery
Life After the Challenge

What I envision are short chapters (4 or 5 pages per chapter). I will try to keep it light-hearted yet informative. It will be about my experiences but I plan on using other stories as well. It all sounds good in my head but I know I have a tough job ahead of me, especially since I've never done anything like this before. I'm going to rely heavily upon Michelle as well. She was always a better writer than me and I often use her to help me edit things that I write.

Speaking of Michelle, we went in for lab work on Friday. We were assigned to a small room with 2 chemo chairs and there was a lady getting some lab work done as well. Michelle felt like the room was too small and excused herself out to the waiting room. When my nurse, Saima, came in, the first thing she asked me was "Where is your side kick?". They know Michelle very well as she has been there every step of the way. I am so lucky to have her. I have so many supporters but none greater than her!

I'm realizing that I am still in the recovery stage. I tried to go to work on Thursday and ended up leaving after only 4 hours. It was too early. This final treatment has knocked me a bit lower than the other treatments. I went to my parents on Saturday for the Herriman parade (it comes right next to their house). Every year we put out chairs to reserve spots along the park strip. This year, I took my tent over to my parents house for the boy cousins to sleep in Friday night. The parade was great and it seems to be getting larger each year. After the parade, I grabbed a couple of chairs and took them to the back yard. My brother Steve and I also took down the tent. He carried the heavy part of the tent to my car and I grabbed the poles and a few sleeping bags. I had to stop 3 times on the way to the car. I was exhausted and I didn't do anything for the rest of the day. I was very frustrated that I couldn't do what I wanted and have since decided that I need to take my time.

Have you ever watched the "Pop-up Videos" on VH1? I feel like my life in the last 5 or 6 months have been like a pop-up video. Of course, it is my own doing and as I've mentioned so many times before, it is therapeutic for me. Thanks again for all of your support. I couldn't have made it this far without all of you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jimmy,

I met your Aunt Susan Johnson regarding a business opportunity. I learned from her that you too are winning the battle against lymphoma cancer. She provided me with the link to your blog site.

I was pleased to read how you are healing and that you have a strong support system with family and friends, especially your wife Michelle.

I too am fortunate to have a strong support system with a loving family and friends, especially my angel, my wife Kim.

Prayer works. We'll be praying for you and your family too.

Best regards,
Ron Fragapane
Bay Village, OH
ron_fragapane@sbcglobal.net

Jimmy & Michelle said...

Ron,

I'm very glad you posted. I'm glad you also have such a great support system! I can't imagine doing it without them. Best of luck to you! I would love to know more about your lymphoma and your experience. Feel free to drop me an email.

Thanks,

Jimmy
jandmcarbine@msn.com

Amelia said...

I think that sounds like a great setup for a book. Good luck!