Sunday, February 13, 2011

I'm a little late on the update...

Sorry everyone, I have not been feeling very well. Michelle and I went to the Oncologist on Thursday. We posted a few things on Facebook but this should give everyone a more thorough update. We were told that I have Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma with Large B Cell. There are actually two different types that it could be but they are treated the same way so we are not going to do additional biopsies.

The cancer is in the fast moving category, there are 3 primary speeds (Slow, Fast, Very Fast). It almost seems backwards but it it is easier to treat the Very Fast cancers as they can use treatments to kill any fast growing tissue.

We asked the doctor about removing the spleen and she said that it could be done but it wouldn't be effective. She used the analogy of horses in a barn. Most of them have gotten out of the barn so we would capture the 1 or 2 still in the barn but the rest are running wild. Not to mention, the spleen is a very integral part of our immune system and I would have to be on antibiotics for the rest of my life.

We started discussing the treatment. We are going to be using chemotherapy (RCHOP or CHOPR), same thing but I've heard it called both things. Each of the letters in RCHOP stands for one of the drugs in the chemo. I won't go into all of those details but you can find it online under R-CHOP.

The good news with this treatment is that it has a smart bomb. The R or Rituxan attaches itself to a special molecule called CD20 that is present on the surface of B-Cells. The B-Cells are usually the cells that become cancerous in many lymphomas. By attaching to this molecule, Rituxan inactivates the cancer cells and eliminates them.

***Full disclosure****I'm not that smart. I copied from a website.

So, I will begin chemo on 2/18/2011. I will have a total of 6 treatments, each 3 weeks apart from each other. I asked about radiation treatment after the chemo but they don't like to use radiation in this area as there are too many other organs that could be affected.

The statistics aren't as good as I would like for this cancer. There is about a 40% success rate but the average age for people with this cancer is the late 60s. That statistic also doesn't include the Rituxan which again is the smart bomb.

This next week will be a tough one. I had blood work today, tomorrow, I go in for a PET Scan, Wednesday, we go in for a bone marrow biopsy, Thursday we meet with the oncologyst again and then start chemo on Friday. We are still very positive about everything and continue to appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

Tuesday, we will be having family over to give blessings to me and the family. I am looking forward to this night. There is so much power in the priesthood. I'm sure there are many of you that won't understand what I'm talking about, I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have. It is a very special part of my life and my religion and I would just ask that you be respectful.

I may not post until next weekend but I love you all and appreciate all that you do for me, Michelle and our family. I don't know what I would do without Michelle and our kids. Sure makes it easier to fight!

No comments: