Monday, February 28, 2011

Emergency Room

I've been feeling a lot better the past few days. Friday night, Michelle and I went to dinner. I'll admit that I ran out of steam really quick but it was nice to act like a normal human being. I went to bed at 10:00 pm and at 3:00 am on Saturday I woke up with what I thought was heartburn. I went downstairs and took some Tums and tried to go back to bed. I tossed and turned and the pain became so intense. It also moved to my back as well. I couldn't get comfortable. The only way I could lessen the pain was to pace. I called my Oncologist's message service but unfortunately she was out of town and didn't get her messages until 7:30 am. I was minutes from calling 911 as I thought I was having a heart attack.

My Oncologist called me and told me to go the ER. She was worried about a blood clot in my lungs. I went to Riverton Hospital (by the way, I have to plug this hospital. It is new and I've been so impressed with the care of the staff.). My Oncologist called ahead so they were waiting for me. When I got there, I was in so much pain. The ER Doc was a familiar face, it was Dr. Gardner who was the ER Doc when we found the tumor in my spleen.

They drew blood to check for heart attack enzymes and they also ran another CT scan to identify if there was a blood clot. Meanwhile, they gave me some morphine for the pain. While I was getting the CT scan, Michelle called my parents and my Dad came to the hospital. We waited for about an hour and they came back and told us that there wasn't a blood clot nor signs of a heart attack. They believe that I had an inflammation of the lining around my heart. They gave me a prescription for some strong pain meds and sent me home.

I was planning on returning to work today but I wanted to make sure that the pain meds were out of my system. I also had to get blood labs today. I don't know if this is good or not but I'm recognized by the good nurses and staff at the Huntsman Cancer Center at IMC. I was in a community room with 3 other patients. They were all getting chemo today. I felt bad as the youngest woman was in her 60's. It must be difficult to fight as an older patient. They all seemed in good spirits and commented that I was leaving my harem when I left.

As I said, I'm feeling a lot better. I think this is my new 100%, which is about 80%. I plan on working tomorrow. I'm excited but a little nervous. It has been a while but I'm looking forward to focusing on something other than the big challenge.

As always, thank you to everyone that is praying for us and serving us. We couldn't do it without you!

No comments: