Friday, April 1, 2011

Chemo Week 1/2 way completed

Let me start out by saying, I finished my chemo treatment a few hours ago so I hope this post is clear. I tend to get "chemo-head", which makes it hard for me to concentrate.

I started the week by going to work. I met with our HR Manager, she is great and helped me out with some paperwork. I really appreciate the support that I've received from my company (from the President of the company down to our new hire classes). After that conversation, I spoke with my boss and told him that I'm ready to come back to work. He is much more comfortable now that I have a couple of treatments under my belt. So I went to work Monday thru Thursday. It was so great! I'm able to accomplish more at work and it affects my morale as well as the site's morale.

On Wednesday, I went in for labs. My blood counts are still "fantastic". I believe that is the word that my Oncologist used. I love having my PICC line. They plug into it and the blood starts to fill in the vials. No more poking with needles. Definitely worth the procedure to put in the PICC line.

On Thursday, I met with my Oncologist. It was my shortest visit since I started seeing her. She was so happy! Everything seems to be going better than planned. I asked her a few questions, the first was about my neuropathy. She was concerned that we are seeing this already and told me to keep an eye on it. I then asked about a scan in the middle of the treatments. She said that we are doing a scan after my next treatment. I think that will do a lot for my psyche as I will be able to see on screen that my tumor and lymph nodes are shrinking. I also asked about my hair as it seems to continue to grow. She said that I must have "hearty hair". It will most likely fall out as well but it was curious to me.

Today, Friday, I went in for my 3rd round of chemotherapy. We had to wait again to verify the anti-nausea meds. Once we got started, things moved much more quickly than the last time. Since I've had no reactions to Rituxan, my Doc allowed them to infuse it at a faster pace. It still took 3 hours and 15 minutes but that is much better than 4 or 4 1/2 hours. All in, I spent 6 hours at the hospital. We were able to get a semi private room with a window this time. I wanted the window because the weather was so great today. It was also nice because Michelle was able to use the recliner for the other patient as we didn't need to share today. I slept for about 2 hours and watched TV. It really is boring and so hard to focus on reading or doing anything else.

Tomorrow, I will go in for my Neulasta shot. This is a very painful shot that stimulates my bone marrow to produce white blood cells. It has some potential side effects but I have not suffered from any of them so far.

My parents came over tonight with a beautiful picture frame with the poem/story of "Footprints". I'm sure many of you are familiar with it but it is essentially about a person walking with the Savior and upon reflection he notices only one set of footprints during some of his hardest times. In the end he finds out that the Savior was carrying him during those times. I've always love this poem and it is more meaningful now than ever before.

Michelle has a migraine tonight. Not a fun thing to have when she is taking care of me. I'm so glad that we are so similar and stay positive for each other! I can't wait for the scan in 4 or 5 weeks to see how things are progressing inside.

Today is April Fool's day but everything you've read is true. Tomorrow is Nick's Birthday. We celebrated today since he has Drumline Competition tomorrow and will be gone for most of the day. It is also conference weekend. I usually have a hard time staying awake during conference but this will really be tough this time around as my anti-nausea meds make me sleepy. Having said that, I'm really looking forward to the messages that will be delivered. I just know that I will have a wonderful experience and that much of what will be said will be applicable to me in my current situation. I love all of you and appreciate the support that we receive. I'll never be able to repay all of the service, love and support that we have received...but I will try.

1 comment:

Rob said...

So if you have good hair, can a brother get a plug for transplant? Not, for me....no, no, no. Its for.....ummm....ummm.....KYLE, yeah thats it! He needs a little help, have you seen the spot on the top of his head?!?

Sounds like things are going well. Keep up the fight!