Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Change

I'm sure most of you are thinking of the physical changes that have occurred to me since I've undergone chemotherapy. The change that I'm speaking about today is the spiritual and mental changes that have occurred and are still occurring. I think most cancer patients have 3 lives...their life pre-cancer, their life during treatment, and their life post-cancer.

People often ask me how I'm doing and how my family is doing. I think for the most part, we are used to the idea that this is our life right now...and we make the best of it. We have fun, we laugh, we try to live our life as normally as possible. I love life. I recognize now, more than ever before, that I am very lucky (or blessed). I have an amazing family that loves me for who I am. They accept my shortcomings and make me want to be better.

I appreciate my health more now. I was healthy last year and didn't appreciate it. My good days now are so special to me. I look forward to the days that I feel good and those days aren't as good as before I got sick. I'm looking forward to the summer. I will have completed my chemotherapy on June 3rd and I can't wait for the colors and warm weather. I've always loved summer but this year will be even more special.

My faith has increased. Not only my faith that I am going to beat this challenge, but my faith in God. I've mentioned it so many times, and I will continue to say it, we have felt the prayers of so many of you. My prayers are more meaningful. You would probably think that my prayers center on being cured, while I do mention that in most of my prayers, I tend to pray for my family and friends and others that are going through hard times. I am blessed!

When I'm through with my treatments, I want to be a force for good. I have a great opportunity every year, through my employer, to oversee a fairly sizeable charitable giving budget. We have always done a pretty good job dispersing those funds each year, but I'm sure my thought process going forward will be different. I also want to do more!!! I've served on the board of directors for a local charity. It was a wonderful opportunity, but I can do more. I can make a difference.

I feel like I'm rambling now, but I want everyone that reads this blog to see things differently. Cherish what you have, enjoy your families, LOVE LIFE! It is so easy to look at the negative things in your life, but I hope more of us will focus on the positive. Thank you again for all of your support. We couldn't do this without you!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

This is a great statement about gratitude. Thank you for helping us all to be more grateful:-)

Barry said...

Jim-

So humbling and uplifting reading your inspirirational words on love and life. I miss you and we are always praying for your well being and your family. Please tell everyone that I said hello (and tell Mackenzie its Chuck!!)

Barry

Jimmy & Michelle said...

Barry - I miss you too! You made me chuckle with the "Chuck" comment. Thanks for the prayers! I hope all is well for you and your family as well.