Tuesday, March 22, 2011

RCHOP

RCHOP???? I thought I would take a few minutes today to talk about the chemotherapy regimen that I go through. RCHOP is an acronym for the chemicals that are infused into my body every 3 weeks. They are as follows:

R = Rituximab (Rituxan)
C = Cyclosphoasphamide
H = Hydoxydaunorubicin (doxorubicin)
O = Oncovin (vincristine)
P = Prednisone

You've probably already read about Rituxan. It is a new type of drug that my Oncologist calls the "Smart Bomb". It attacks the cancer cells. This particular drug has many side effects including death for 4 out of 1,000 patients. It is infused at a very slow rate to ensure that there are no reactions. It typically takes 4 1/2 hours to infuse 1 bag of this drug into my body. I am grateful for this drug as it alone has improved survival rates by a large percentage.

Cyclosphosphamide is an alkylating anti-neoplastic agent. This drug adds chemicals known as an alykyl group to the cell, inhibiting its ability to divide.

Hydoxydaunaorubicin (doxorubicin) prevents cancerous DNA and RNA from replicating. This is the scariest chemical for me. It looks like red jello and is given to me through 2 large syringes.

Vincristine (formerly known as Oncovin) is similar to Cyclosphosphamide in that it inhibits cell division. This drug while good is causing me problems. It causes tingling in my fingertips and feet (peripheral neuropathy). I don't know if this is a permanent side effect but as I've told several people, I would rather have neuropathy than die from cancer.

Prednisone is a steroid that helps with anti-inflammation. That is not the reason for the use in RCHOP though. For some reason, high doses seem to take action on cancerous white blood cells. I take this drug orally for 5 days. I take 100mg (5 pills) every day for the first 5 days after chemo. The biggest thing I notice is that I am not myself while taking Prednisone. I don't get angry but I'm not my usual positive self.

There are many side effects from this chemo regimen but they are mostly the ones that you think about when you hear the word chemo. I get a lot of anti-nausea medicines and the second round went much better. Primarily I have chronic fatigue, I feel sick (similar to a really bad stomach flu), and of course...I lost my hair.

This is probably more than any of you wanted to know but I thought I would share. Thank you for the continued support and prayers. We feel the prayers. One quick story...a family that I home teach recently went to Israel. While they were there, they put my name in the western wall (wailing wall). They also prayed for me while they were in the Garden of Gethsemane. I was so humbled that they would think to do this for me and my family. I know many of you put our names on the prayer rolls in the temple and a good friend of mine in Georgia puts my name on the prayer roll for his church. I'm so blessed to have such great friends and family. Thank you for all that you do!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Keep the updates coming because we think about you and pray for you and your family every day. We really care and love to know what's going on:-)